The business which started in 1844 and traded for over 150 years, was established in Bedfont and managed by five generations of the Gibbs family.
Herbert Gibbs was the third generation of family to join the business, starting as a wheelwright’s assistant. He was very interested in the advancement of transport and after the First World War began adapting old steam lorries used in the war. These were then sold to market gardeners such as A.W.Smith, to take produce to market.
By 1926 Herbert Gibbs’ three other sons followed him into the family business, which was now well established in developing and selling equipment and transport for the horticultural and agricultural trade.